Student's Practicum | First day of my on-the-job training.

         According to wikipedia.org, "A practicum is a college course, often in a specialized field of study, that is designed to give students supervised practical application of a previously studied theory. Practicums (student teaching) are common for education and social work majors." In our university, basically our department which is Institute of Computing, we are directed to undergo 240 hours of practicum which corresponds 3 units and one of the requirements for graduation.

         Yesterday, at exactly 1:45pm, I had started my on-the-job training on an IT Solutions Company with one of my classmate. For confidentiality, I will not state what is the name of the company that I refer to. I will reside in the company for 30 days, 8 hours a day. My shift is 2pm until 10pm.

         Honestly, I was expecting that we will not end up till 10pm yesterday because I thought the company will only be orienting but it didn't end that way. The company are strict about time. One minute beyond the designated time of in will be considered late. Woah!(hehe), that's a new environment for a tardy person like me.

         My classmate and I are designated to be in S.E.O. Department on 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm. After which, 5:30 to 10 pm will be our schedule to be transferred to the PHP Department. Upon being acknowledged about the schedule, I was still a bit uneasy. It is because the designation that should be imposed to us was to be in PHP department as a trainee or something but then the S.E.O. position had then come up. At that time, I definitely know what S.E.O. means which is an acronym for Search Engine Optimization but I really don't know what will I do with that. But then, I couldn't do anything but to observe the things that is happening in S.E.O. Department.

         As we went in the department, I notice that some of the staff are opening document editors and browser which is also familiar to me. Some of them, I think, were making report of I-don't-know-what. The person in-charge of us in HR had presented us to the supervisor in the department. I haven't given a chance to know the name of the supervisor who handles me but it is certain that she's a lady (hehehe). She instructed me to take the S.E.O. exam for two hours which was posted in a website. Luckily, I ended before the time is up. After that exam, my stay in that department for the day ended.

         Following the schedule, we transferred again to the PHP Department. Again, we were being introduced to our supervisor at that department which is now a male. It was then 6pm already when the introduction happened considering that the dinner break in only 30 minute, 6pm to 6:30pm to be exact. So, the supervisor told us first to have our break before our session with him starts.

         In hurry, we ate our dinner and then went back to the company before we reach the end of the given break time. This time, I was really pleased because our supervisor is kind and considerate about our situation as an OJT students. The first thing he asked was our knowledge about PHP and how we start coding from scratch. He concluded that since we already know the basics of PHP we should jump now to a new environment using a framework. He introduce a new framework that we should learn in order for us to code faster using a framework than from scratch. Throughout the period, he let us study the framework until the period is up. We logged out at the company at exactly 10:04pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment